Friday, September 30, 2011

Women in the Media (Femininity & Advertising)

Women in the media are portrayed as sex objects. A majority of ads have women posing in provocative poses half clothed. "Beauty," as defined by the media, seems to be unattainable by the average woman. Only a tiny percentage of women actually look the way they are presented in the media. When young girls are exposed to sexual and explicit ads of "beautiful" women, they strive to be just like that. This causes mental problems such as eating disorders, depression and low self-esteem. I think it is sad that women feel ugly, fat and unsuccessful just because they don't look like a fake, photo-shopped, rich celebrity who has probably had more plastic surgeries than one can count on two hands. It is unfair for women to be exploited as just an object, but at the same time, it is the women that are subjecting themselves to this degradation. The idea that "sex sells" proved to be true every day in our society.
As I aspire to work in the fashion industry, I find myself becoming concerned with the negative imagery I will potentially be surrounded by. I hope to work with a company that holds value to women and does not fall into the provocative advertising realm. From what I have seen, it is not very common for companies to advertise with class and respect. The idea that a specific product will make an individual more desirable is what our country has become: materialistic. I cannot say that I dont wish to have the finer things in life, but I do not find it necessary in order to be happy. I believe for someone to truly appreciate something, they have to work hard for it. The idea of marrying a rich husband that will buy you anything you want seems to be the dream for many women. Yes, that would be nice, but what about being able to buy yourself something? This gives much more satisfaction than simply being handed something.

No comments:

Post a Comment